Friday, May 25, 2012

The Garden, Lately, and Things We Do in Our Spare Time

Hey everyone! I thought I would give you all a little update on the garden stuff... Wednesday, J and I went into town to pick up some more potatoes (I am a tad obsessed) and 2000lbs. of cow hay. No, we did not get a cow... the hay is for mulching and animal bedding, and it was a whole lot cheaper than straw. We bought an additional 15 pounds of potatoes, which now makes 45 lbs of potatoes planted! The varieties we used were Cherry Red, Russet, Yellow Finn, German Butterball, and Pimpernel. Today we mulched the potatoes with the hay we bought.
Chard planted in containers...
A few days ago, Shannon and I planted 60+ starts of sweet corn, and fashioned a "greenhouse" of sorts to keep the corn happy and warm. Today, Shannon checked the soil and at the bottom it was 86 degrees! Even within a few days, the starts have grown so much. I told J that my babies are growing up way too fast! Anyway, at this point, we have planted sweet corn, Painted Mountain corn, kohlrabi, kale, bok choy, lettuce, arugula, romaine, spinach, Contender and Provider beans, Swiss and Rainbow Chard, cabbage, zucchini, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, garlic, onions, tomatoes, dill, basil, parsley, lavender, cilantro, sage, catnip, oregano, thyme, lemon basil, chives, rosemary, strawberry, and horseradish. We have yet to plant beets, turnips, pumpkin, some remaining brussel sprouts, collard and mustard greens, and peas. Life has swept us up in a whirlwind, but I am enjoying every moment of this season! Every night I come home exhausted, and I love it! I love the feeling of coming home, feeling like something huge was accomplished (even though it is small in the grand scheme), sitting down in my rocking chair in front of the wood stove, with a cup of tea, reading by candlelight, and feeling totally overwhelmed with contentedness, and joy. Every day is an opportunity to find love and joy in everything you do. I will be the first to admit, I am not very good at this. Often times, I will wake up, and set my mind to be content and joyful, but throughout the day, things can ambush you and distract you from that goal. Something I have been working on is actively searching out Father's love in things. Whether it's the smell of the forest after a good hardy rain, or anticipating the arrival of fiddlehead ferns and devil's club, or even the annoying-ness of the roosters crow it is all beautiful. It is all created to be enjoyed and to ultimately turn our awesome wonder back to its Creator. Okay, so here is the rest of the intended post. There were several rodents gorging themselves on the compost pile, so I happily obliged in assisting them on the journey to meet their maker. I truly hope this doesn't come across anyone involved in animal rights or somesuch, or I/we might be in trouble! You can just copy and paste these into your search engine. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFbA3K4L1hw) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDHP-9rT2-8) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a27PELxutGY) Enjoy your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment